When you say the word it hits most people’s mind like a Mike Tyson uppercut damages one’s jaw.
Walter Willett, chair of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health is known for this media shocking statement: “It now increasingly recognized that the low fat campaign has been based on little scientific evidence and may have caused unintended health consequences”. Duh!
People of my generation have been brainwashed into thinking that fat is evil. Unfortunately, it created huge damages to at least 3 generations of Western World humans.
Fat is our friend. Of course, I am talking about good sources of fats: properly raised meats, butter, eggs etc…
It is a still running misconception that animal fat sources have ultra dangerous cardio-vascular, cancer generating evil spirited entities hiding in the hydrogen and carbon atoms. The reality is the same hydrogen and carbon found in plants, humans, and the rest of the planet.
Here are 5 reasons why fat is our friend:
1. Fat regulates our appetite. Fat helps make us feel full.
2. Fat provides long lasting energy that carbohydrates are no match for.
3. Fat has very low insulin response, the hormone of aging, as compared to the way sugar does. One of the low fat craze greatest side effect besides tripling children’s obesity in just one decade in the US, is its impact on mental decline. Here is a good layman’s article on the topic: Cognitive Decline Tied to Brain’s Insulin Resistance
4. Fat is essential to the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E & K), which are omnipotent in the building of health.
5. German nutrition expert Konrad Biesalski, from Hohenheim University in Stuttgart, points out to the counterintuitive reality that many of the nutrients implicated in protecting against cancer (vitamin A, folic acid, selenium, and zinc) for which the scientific community has been brainwashing us to eat more fruits and vegetables, are not only more abundant in meat but are also more “bioavailable,” meaning that they are more easily absorbed when consumed in meat rather than in vegetables and fruits .
So relax, when fat comes the right sources like properly raised meat, wild meat, wild caught fish, avocadoes, butter, olive oil etc… it has a host of benefits to the human body.
Have a great weekend,
Coach Charles R. Poliquin strengthsensei.com